Melasma Specialist Dermatologist Franklin Nashville TN
Melasma / facial discolorations (hyperpigmentation) can quickly be treated by our best in class Nashville dermatologist, Dr. Jill Fichtel at Transformative Dermatology (Franklin, TN). Melasma is a skin condition where dark brown, tan, white, or gray patches develop on the skin’s surface. Melasma is a cosmetic concern and is commonly seen on the cheeks, bridge of the nose, between the eyebrows, chin, forehead, and above the upper lip. Our best in class board certified dermatologists and dedicated staff are proud to serve the greater Nashville area and provide our patients with top tier care in a state-of-the-art environment.
Our experience with this frequently distressing condition means we can understand your concern and help you decide if a consultation might be the right next step for you. Melasma can be treated successfully.
Melasma is a form of facial pigmentation / hyperpigmentation that affects mostly women. Melasma occurs when cells become hyperactive and produce excess pigment in certain areas of the skin, resulting in large discolored blotchy patches.
“Have only great things to say about Dr. Fichtel and her staff!! Amazingly kind and professional. As well, they were able to get me the treatment that I needed for psoriasis in an incredibly short time after moving into the area…super thankful and made me a life long client :) Highly recommend Transformative!” ~ Facebook
It is common for an event to trigger the start of melasma. Some triggers for melasma that have been reported include:
- Hormonal changes
- Sun exposure / UV exposure (tanning booths)
- Some make-up and cosmetic products
- Certain medications (birth control pills, anti-epileptic medications)
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Medical grade topical treatments are very successful. Topical treatments will be customized for your unique condition depending on the severity of your melasma / facial discolorations.
- Laser treatments are fast and effective at removing facial discolorations. The laser used will depend on your condition. Lasers work by using very short nanosecond pulses that help to shatter the melasma pigmentation. Laser treatments are virtually painless.
- Microneedling and/or microneedling with platelet-rich plasma. This is one of the most commonly elected procedures that we offer. This non-surgical procedure also has tremendous anti-aging effects. There have been various research studies conducted using platelet-rich plasma as a way of treating melasma. Many of our Nashville clients love this procedure so much that they continue to return for microneedling yearly due to its skin clearing and phenomenal anti-aging benefits.
- Chemical peels are also effective in treating melasma. The strength of the chemical peel will be based on your lifestyle and the extent of your condition.
Often, the best treatment for melasma is a combination of approaches that will improve the appearance of affected skin.
Please note: The top rated board certified dermatologist offers in-person and virtual consultations (from anywhere in the world).
As best in class, top rated Nashville (Franklin, TN) dermatologists we provide highly personalized and comprehensive care. If you have any questions or would like to schedule a cosmetic dermatology or general dermatology consultation please use the eForm on the right or simply phone us.
1909 Mallory Lane
Franklin, TN 37067